Monday 23 May 2011

A weakness shared

I feel vulnerable. Sitting here publishing my deepest thoughts, releasing my diary to the world after years of keeping those sacred pages locked away.  Yes I have control over what I write. And no my thoughts and desires are probably not your idea of bedtime reading, possibly they are of no interest at all. But yet I find myself sitting here, contemplating what to write, what to share with the strangers that graze past my page...

I feel trapped in a progressive social change that a part of me so strongly wants to resist. Facebook, Twitter, Blogging. They all consume so much time and energy and yet they appear to have been dubbed a necessity in today's daily activities. The brain numbing realms of television and video games are equally seductive and yet somehow it's a lot easier to escape from their grasp.
Why?
It's a question I've often wondered and I think it has a lot to do with our need to feel a sense of belonging in this world. Social networking is constantly changing, constantly updating, constantly in the now. It enables individuals to feel connected to their peers, disguises a feeling of loneliness that consumes their souls, but what's even more concerning is societies assumptions that we need to be on board with these sites in order to survive in our careers, our social circles and our everyday interactions with the world.
What ever happened to just turning up to someones house for a cup of tea and a catch up?
People are too busy for visitors but not for virtual friends. My own hypocrisy disgusts me. Although I have not yet been fully trapped by this obscure lifestyle, I am definitely not exempt. I still add the occasional Facebook update or watch Hollyoaks before bed. Clearly I've even begun to blog. Escapism, a want to share, a desire to know about an old friend? My motivation is irrelevant. My actions are skewed. And yet I'll no doubt continue.
It's an endless battle I will for now endure, rant about, and wallow in through my own hypocritical way. I know it's a strange time. I know my focus should be on God and not on media which only places myself at the center. I like to think I'll try to bring God into all I write on here but it's a promise I fear I won't keep.

This is my distinctive ponder. A muddled thought. A weakness shared.
A weakness I should bring to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment